Monday, July 24, 2006

Non Sequitur: Snakes on a Plane

If you know me, you should already know what Snakes on a Plane is, however I will recap throughout this post if you don't.

Back in Jul/August of '05 I was working as on-air talent(hahahahaha), on what seems to be a pretty large radio station in the DC Area, WJFK-FM. At the time I started it was the local DC station that carried Howard Stern's live broadcast, which is a pretty big deal in some circles. Either way, the show I was on needed more bits and things to talk about. One idea we had was to do a Fall movie preview, which we thought would be easy, but wasn't as simple as it seemed. During this big I decided I would start to just look up major stars on imdb.com (if you don't know what imdb.com is, you really need to re examine some things in your life) and see what some of their upcoming movies were.

I go through the usual suspects, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Angelina Jolie, etc. Whatever. I then stumble onto none other than Samuel L. Jackson. There are a few movies listed...Freedomland, Black Snake Moan, and others, and then at the bottom "Snakes on a Plane". Now for those of you that are familiar with IMDB, sometimes the titles they have for certain movies, are just the working titles only to be changed in the future. So I look around on the page for information on title changes or whatever. Seems the other working titles for the movie were Flight 121, Pacific Air 121, and Pacific Air Flight 121. I figure that one of those titles will eventually be subbed back in, and I start to lose interest. However, I decide to do a quick search on the title to see what comes up. Much to my astonishment, I find that "Snakes on a Plane" IS the official title. I figure this has to make it to air, and I keep researching. Turns out, Samuel L. Jackson protested the changing of the title stating that it was one of the main reasons he decided to do the movie. He then says "Snakes on a Plane, you either want to see that or you don't".

So we go on air, and I get to the Samuel L. Jackson movies, I get to Snakes on a Plane and the show comes to a screeching halt. Peter makes me repeat myself on the title, then explain if that was the official title. This led to two segments worth of Snakes on a Plane discussion, with the topics ranging from Peter nicknaming it Snakey Plane, to having listeners call in with sequel ideas (Snakes on a plane 2: Snakes on a train...etc). Needless to say, hilarity ensued, and I think it was one of our better segments on the show.

So there...I was either first, or one of the earliest to start the Snakes on a Plane phenomenon. And best believe on August 18th, I will be in line to see it.

Links:

Snakes on a Plane (IMDB)

Snakes on a Plane
(Wikipedia)

Snakes on a Blog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home