Thursday, August 24, 2006

Snakes on a Plane...the Review

Alright, this will be my last post about Snakes on a Plane...I promise. I should have posted this days ago, but I actually had work to do, forgive me.

Last friday's events had been planned for a while. Happy hour/Open Bar at 1223(which I must say had I found out about it maybe 3 years ago, I'd be at every week, 'cause it's really ever alcoholics dream...$20 cover, all the top shelf liquor you can handle), after which we would head down to Gallery Place for the 10:10pm showing of Snakes on a Plane, and then most likely seeing that we had probably sobered up, head back out drinking.

Now some might say this is a bad idea, you'll be hammered by the time you get to the movie theater, etc...blah blah blah. Even some of the people in our group disagreed initially, but they were persuaded by the opportunity to drink more afterwards. I'm told that we left 1223 around 9pm, however I have no real recollection of getting on the metro to go to gallery place. I do have a picture that proves this happened though. Got to the movie theater about a half hour early so they were not letting people into the actual theater year for SoaP. I quickly deceived the ticket jockey with a story about having the use the bathroom and coming right back to the line. Whatever. I got some popcorn and a hot dog (i needed actual food to keep the excessive amount of liquor down) and went in the theater to save seats while my friends stood in line.

By 10:05 everyone was in the theater...and herein lies the appeal of this movie. The crowd was insane. Theater was packed to the gills with people who seemed to have the same idea we had in getting drunk before hand and then watching the movie. Very diverse crowd, obviously a decent amount of college students, then your internet nerds (one person had a laptop with them and was doing a live blog from the theater) and other various people caught up in the internet/blogosphere hype.

Now plenty of people have asked me about the movie, how it was, was it good, etc. Those are the wrong questions to ask. You already know a movie called Snakes on a Plane isn't going to win an oscar. Like if you were looking for a quality MOVIE to spend your money on per se, this really isn't a flick for you. But if you were looking to have a good time with a raucous crowd booing, cheering, screaming, ranting, etc it's well worth any money you spend on it. The overall movie experience I had while watching the movie was probably the best I'd ever been a part of. Quick example...for anyone who has seen Anchorman, the actor who played Champ Kind (David Koechner), the sports anchor...is one of the pilots in the movie. So if you remember Anchorman, champs signature call was a drawn out WHHAAMMMYYY! So in turn during SoaP everytime he did something on screen the crowd would scream out WHAMMMYYY! at the top of their lungs. It was highly entertaining. During one part when an old lady is dying from a snake bite...I booed vociferously and made other comments about their not being enough snakes which seemed to draw the enjoyment of those sitting around me. Although I think it did draw the ire of someone in the back corner who threw out an STFU to which I responded in turn with a derisive FUCK YOU! In addition, the crowd also cheered through the famous expletive snakes line given by Sam Jackson towards the end of the movie.

There's no way I could judge this movie had I seen it in a different crowd setting. The hypeness (i know it's not a word) of the crowd made the evening enjoyable no matter what I was watching. So I'd advise if you were going to see it, make sure you could replicated the same kind of thing.

Rating:
Movie: 3 out of 5
Experience: 5 out of 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home