Thursday, November 09, 2006

I didn't vote today...Part 2

Since I actually got a comment on the last post, I figured I'd at least try have some kind of rebuttal. I started just writing another comment in response, but it was getting too long, so I decided just to make another post.

So it seems the Democrats have taken over congress, and in effect handcuffed GWB for the last 2 years of his presidency. Congrats. Well congrats only if a Democratic President is elected in 2008. If we get another Republican President we will end up with basically 6 years of political stalemate.

Either way, to clarify...my only real reason for not wanting to vote, was not wanting either candidate to win. That's a shortsighted reasoning, because I know the balance of power effects me and everyone else. However, I refuse to believe that the government climate in this country means that I must vote in order to give my "team" the advantage in congress. Even if I don't want that person to win. I don't even really like that team. I don't like either team. It's like if I went to McDonald's and they said all we got is the Fillet-O-Fish and the McRib, I'm not picking one just to pick one, I'll just go somewhere else. Only I can't go somewhere else, at least not currently. That seems silly to me, but it probably is how things are now. If there was a section on the ballot that would allow me to just vote for general dissatisfaction with our government I'd have been the first person at the polls. Why keep going with the status quo when it's something you don't believe in doing.

However, I'm not going to try to say voting doesn't matter, or isn't important, because as McCoy astutely pointed out, numerous things could possibly happen with the switching of congress. Some beneficial to me. Wonderful. I will not do any bitching (I rarely bitch about political issues) since I didn't vote, and I hadn't planned on doing any regardless of who won.

In the end, I think we can all agree to say we are just happy the obnoxious and ridiculous political slander ads are over with. If I never see Michael Steele holding a puppy or standing with his kids again, it will be too soon.

No more about this until the next election...

1 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, my turn to rebute. Our government, which you so soundly prefer simply by the fact that you remain in this country, is not the equivalent of a free market economy, which you liken it to. And what, pray tell, do you think the solution is? I suppose if we ALL picked exactly who we wanted to represent us and simply wrote in our ballots instead of using the two party system (and happens to be an option, after all, that most people chose not to take), then that would be the equivalent of being able to choose where to get your hamburger .

If you're against our bipartisan system, I guess we could compare it to other countries with multiple parties, where, like in England, normally a party becomes popular and dominant and therefore stymies the other parties and takes over control of the government. Or like in places like Germany, which has a single party system. In either of these cases, the reality is that the power lies simply with the leader of the party, which wouldn't work in our country where the system of balances has been designed to remove power from an individual or small group of individuals.

Regardless of your opinion on the CHARACTER of the person running for office, the main reason we vote is because a vote is support (or a show of non-support) of the actions/decisions of the government. This is not winning one for the team, and I'm sorry you believe that the Dems just want to win for the sake of winning and vice-versa for the Repubs.

But you seem aware that you've just officialy rebuked your ability to complain about anything related to: taxes, growth and development, public education, healthcare, inflation, the DC baseball stadium, television programming, grad school admissions and tuition, and the timing of streetlights on 16th street, among millions of other things. So...have fun posting youtube clips!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home